Fire broke out Wednesday at two homes in Valley Glen, damaging structures at both locations and burning a man in an apartment building.
An accidental apartment blaze burned a 55-year-old man, who was transported to a hospital in serious condition, authorities said.
The injury fire occurred about a mile and a half away from another Valley Glen blaze in which a house had its chimney and roof catch fire the night before.
The two-story apartment fire was reported at 4:38 a.m. Wednesday at 6205 Fulton Ave., the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
Fire personnel responded to one upstairs unit of a 21-unit apartment building and confined the blaze to the room before it was extinguished in 15 minutes, authorities said.
The man, who also sustained smoke inhalation, was transported to an area hospital in serious condition, authorities said.
The 14,041-square-foot building where the blaze occurred, authorities said, was built in 1956 and not equipped with optional fire sprinklers.
The presence of functional smoke alarms, authorities said, and their role at the time of the fire, hasn’t been determined.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was accidental and due to insufficient space between the man’s bed and a wall furnace that led to bed linens igniting.
The financial loss from the fire is still being calculated, authorities said.
Meanwhile, at 7:23 p.m. Tuesday at 13741 Archwood Street, a one-story home had its chimney and adjacent roof catch fire before being extinguished in 28 minutes.
Fire personnel confined the house fire on Archwood Street to the chimney and roof. There were no injuries, and the fire’s cause and amount of financial damage are to be determined, authorities said.