Steven Spielbergs film Ready Player One is in theaters, so we take a look at the evolution of video games
The new reality[hhmc]
“Ready Player One” is based on Ernest Clines 2011 science fiction novel where people play a worldwide virtual reality game. Here are the projections for virtual reality revenue from market analysts at Digi-Capital.
Note: The virtual reality sales projection for 2020 would be more than the total revenue for all video game consumer content in the U.S. this year.
How far gaming has come[hhmc]
U.S. video game market revenue in billions (Inflation-adjusted for 2012)
You can read more facts about the video game industry in the 2017 report from the Entertainment Software Association.
When California is not a blue state[hhmc]
Movoto, a real estate company, used data from Facebook data based on “likes” to create a map of video game console preference in the U.S. Movoto wrote a blog post with details.
- 22 states prefer Xbox One (dark green)
- 19 states prefer PlayStation 4 (dark blue)
- 9 states are tied (light green)
Paid to play[hhmc]
Worried about your childs obsessive time playing games? They might make money at it someday. Esports are gaining momentum across the globe. In 2016, UCI opened an esports arena and recruited a team.
Sources: Digi-Capital, Entertainment Software Association, VGsales.com
- On National Medal of Honor Day, remembering some who went beyond the call of duty
- The University of California is 150 and nationally ranked — and continues to raise tuition
- Driving in the rain: What you need to keep in mind
- Heres what the first blooms of spring look like, according to California and U.S. maps
- Heres how many women are part of the workforce, and how their earnings lag behind those of men