The Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles will host its first match for the Los Angeles Football Club match Sunday, April 29. The 22,000-seat stadium is on the former site of the Los Angeles Sports Arena, near the USC campus.
You can learn more about the soccer team on the teams website.
The stadium, estimated to have cost $350 million, is built specifically for soccer matches. LAFC was founded in 2014 and is the 23rd Major League Soccer franchise in the U.S. The franchise played its first game March 4, winning 1-0 against Seattle, and is 4-2 and in second place in Major League Soccers Western Conference, behind Sporting Kansas City. The team hosts the Seattle Sounders at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 28.
That first game is sold out, but tickets for future games are available through the clubs website. The next home game is Saturday, May 5.
Five percent of parking near the stadium will have EV recharging stations.
Metrolink riders can take the Expo Line to the Expo Park/USC station.
Banc of California stadium is 5,000 seats smaller than StubHub Center in Carson.
Reasons people who arent soccer fans should care
1. The Los Angeles area has two teams in every major sport.
There are two franchises each belonging to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and now MLS, indicating the market strength of the nations second-largest city.
2. Its the first outdoor arena built in Los Angeles since Dodger Stadium in 1962. (The FCs rival, the Los Angeles Galaxy, has played at the outdoor Stub Hub Center in Carson since 2003.) The stadium will host other events, such as concerts, during the off-season and possibly during soccer season, which ends in October.
3. The stadium is touting its eco-friendly construction; it received silver certification for energy efficiency from Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, a green-building rating system. The designation is likely to have an impact on the energy efficiency of future stadiums, including the one in Inglewood being built for the Rams and Chargers.
Followers of the team prefer to be called supporters rather than fans. The section behind the goal on the north end of the stadium is called the supporters section. It is standing only and, as affordable as the section is, tickets are sold quickly. Raucous fans in the section often will cheer and sing throughout the game.
Sections and suites
Tickets range from $20 to $155, depending on the section and availability. On April 25, prices for VIP bench seats on the field ranged from $459 to $834 at seatgeek.com. Seats at the top of the stadium are relatively close to the action, with every seat within 135 feet of the field.
What is LAFC?
LAFC is an expansion franchise in its first season. Carlos Vela has the second-most goals in the league with five.LAFC will share Los Angeles with the L.A. Galaxy, which has been an MLS team since 1996. The two teams already have a city rivalry called “El Tráfico.”
- Earth Day 2018: How plastic pollution occurs and what we can do to lessen it
- Its John Muirs 180th birthday, so heres some facts about his trail and Yosemite
- In April we pay our taxes and, by one count, stop paying them
- Heres how much CEOs pay has gone up and down — but mostly up and up
- Happy Easter: Heres why eggs are so expensive (and other egg facts)