There are some things you just dont mess with on an institution like Coronation Street. There are a few rules that you must always follow if you want to have any chance of staying on the right side of the fanbase.
Firstly, you never axe Ken Barlow. The guy has broken records for his longevity on the show. Even if all storyline opportunities dried up, you just leave him be. Youd also be risking a fair bit if you dared to wipe out Rita Tanner too. Dont try it.
Secondly, leave the cobbles where they are. Even when they become archaic and no other road in the entirety of the UK has the stones, Corrie must never, ever lose them.
And thirdly, dont mess with the formula of the Rovers. No swish makeover, no name refresh, no menu change – it needs to remain homely, old school and yes, somewhat outdated.
But could the soap be about to do the unthinkable with regards to the latter point? It certainly seems that way as when Johnny and Jenny Connor take over the premises, not only do they plan to change the name to the ultra cringe Roverz (Annie Walker would be seething) but they are plotting to axe one of the biggest Corrie staples – Bettys Hotpot!
Yep, if you thought Johnny was out of order now, just wait until he gets his hands on the beloved boozer!
A source told The Sun: Johnny decides that the pub needs a good lick of paint and a rebrand. So he tells all of the residents of Weatherfield that he is going the whole hog and changing the name.
Everyone is horrified when they hear hes going to call it The Roverz and tries to convince him to leave it as it is. Scrapping Bettys famous hotpots is even more unthinkable.
Johnny's journey to destroying the Rovers – spoilers
- Johnny lashes out at Jenny – almost hitting her after a mediation meeting with Eva goes badly wrong partly due to her past.
- When Eva tells Johnny that he will never get access to Susie, he kidnaps her.
- However, as he hides out in a hotel room, he has stopped taking his MS pills and he struggles to feed Susie.
- He eventually calls Liz and tells her he is leaving Jenny and wants Liz to join him and Susie in Spain.
- Eva will exit the Street – but will she take Susie away from Johnny forever?
- The inquest into Aidans death arrives but will it provide answers and closure that Johnny needs to start rebuilding his life.
- As the last place he saw Aidan alive, Johnny feels a special connection to The Rovers and buys it.
- Thats when the changes come in – but could Jenny and Johnnys first pub domestic be related to his secret cheating with Liz or will that be behind them by then?
The reactions from the residents are not going to be pretty but he isnt the only one who was thinking about this. When Gemma Winter is in the running, she wants to turn the place into a cocktail bar so thank your lucky stars, locals – it could be worse.
As for whether Johnny and Jenny really will go ahead with their proposed massacre of an institution, we couldnt possible comment – but we cant picture Rita singing round a piano when the name of the place is The Roverz, can you?