Danny Boyle has quit as director of the new James Bond film – Bond 25 – and the question is… why?
The 61-year-old director was revealed as the 2019 films director in May this year.
And just three months later, following a statement on Tuesday, he will no longer be at the helm of Bond 25.
It seems the reason for this shock turn of events is a conflict of interests, commonly referred to in the industry as creative differences.
Who these creative differences are between is not known.
His stepping down was announced in Twitter on the official James Bond account.
The tweet read: Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25.
Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25. pic.twitter.com/0Thl116eAd
— James Bond (@007) August 21, 2018
Boyle revealed In March that he was working on a script for Bond.
I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment. We hope to start shooting that in 6 or 7 weeks, he said at the time. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year. But we are working on them both right now.
Danny continued: Weve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.
And then in May, Boyle was confirmed as director via a statement from MGMs President Jon Glickman and chairman Kevin Ulrich. It said: Under the leadership of Michael and Barbara, we couldnt be more thrilled than to bring the next 007 adventure to the big screen uniting the incomparable Daniel Craig with the extraordinary vision of Danny Boyle.
Its been 21 years since Tomorrow Never Dies was distributed by MGM and its incredibly gratifying to be releasing this film alongside the powerhouse team at Universal.
Q actor Ben Whishaw had previously stated how pleased he was at the prospect of Boyle being on board for Bond, prior to the news being confirmed in May.
Speaking to Metro.co.uk, Whishaw said: I just think its really exciting. I was thrilled when I read that he was going to be doing it. I cant think of a better, more exciting fit for Daniel [Craig] and for the way hes taken the character and everything.
It seems weird to talk about it because Ive not had a conversation about it, so it may or may not, who knows whats going to happen.
Asked if hell definitely appear, Whishaw added: Yes I believe Im contracted to be in it… but I think its not happening until the end of the year. I know as much as you do.
Bond 25 will see the third appearance from Whishaws interpretation on Q, having first debuted in Skyfall back in 2012.
Prior to Bond 25, Sam Sam Mendes was in the directors chair, helming 2015s Spectre, which is the most recent in the franchise, as well as 2012s Skyfall and 2015s Spectre.
Boyle had previously made remarks about being ready to leave the project, but signed on to complete this one last film. He then went on to rewrite the script given to him by the studio.
He had said: Weve got an idea. John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.
Boyle is best known for directing Slumdog Millionaire, for which he won the best director Oscar in 2008, and Trainspotting.
He also was at the helm of Shallow Grave, 127 Hours, Steve Jobs, The Beach and 28 Days Later, while he was the artistic director for the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony.
It comes as speculation mounts as to whether Idris Elba will be the actor to carry on the mantle after Daniel Craig completes his final run as Bond.
The 45-year-old has been heavily hinting he could be taking on the project, having tweeted a cryptic the name is Elba. Idris Elba, which had fans speculating over his involvement, and later fueling rumours by opening his DJ set with the Bond theme.