What to Know
About 80 people reported feeling sick and up to 20 were hospitalized after bear spray was accidentally released at an Amazon facility in NJ
A spokesperson for the town of Robbinsville says the third-floor south entrance was evacuated
Workers' primary complaint was difficulty breathing; Amazon didn't immediately return a call seeking comment on the matter
Up to 80 employees at an Amazon warehouse in Mercer County's Robbinsville reported feeling ill Wednesday morning due to fumes from a can of bear repellent spray.
The town confirmed 10 were taken to hospital and as many as 10 more were potentially en route.
A Robbinsville town spokesman told News 4 that the first report came in around 8:50 a.m. of an aerosol can falling off a shelf on the warehouse's 3rd floor and discharging.
One wing of the facility was evacuated, and first responders were conducting triage outside.
The workers' primary complaint is difficulty breathing, the spokesman added.
An Amazon spokeswoman was not immediately available to comment on the incident. The company sells multiple brands of bear repellent on its site in can sizes as big as 10 ounces.