Kevin Hart is no longer hosting the 2019 Oscars after pulling out from the job – in fact, nobody is hosting the Oscars.
The shock decision by the Academy came after actor Hart stepped down as host of next months ceremony in December, following a string of allegedly homophobic tweets that had been unearthed.
Since then, speculation has been rife over who will replace Kevin on the night, with names including Ellen DeGeneres and Jimmy Kimmel thrown into the mix.
But on Wednesday, it was confirmed that nobody will replace him and the ceremony will instead proceed with starry skits in a radical reinvention.
So why did Kevin step down from the role and what did he say in these tweets?
I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.
— Kevin Hart (@KevinHart4real) December 7, 2018
He had been confirmed as the host of the lustrous night just three days prior.
However, he soon found himself in deep water when fans started sharing unearthed tweets from 2010 which show him using the word gay as a slur. as well as labelling people f**s.
Apologising to the Academy and to anyone he offended, he confirmed he would no longer host the awards in February.
I'm sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.
— Kevin Hart (@KevinHart4real) December 7, 2018
In a series of tweets from 2009-2010, Kevin was seen calling people f**s, and branding people gay as a slur.
One comment posted to someone read: lmao, thats why u sweat 4 know reason u fat faced f**
Lmao @ all of the woman asking me where the pic is, Im not passing along a pic of a naked man!!! That would make me gay by association, he wrote in another.
Ahead of his withdrawal, he posted a series of messages on Instagram saying that the world was going crazy and while he didnt apologise, instead told others they need to be more positive.
When the tweets were discovered, Kevin tried to excuse the behaviour in a video in which he said: I swear man our world is becoming beyond crazy.
Im not going to let the craziness frustrate me or anger me especially when I worked hard to get to the mental space that I am at now.
He explained how his team had called him to tell him that the world was upset about tweets he did years ago but he told them: Oh my God. Guys, Im almost 40 years old.
He added: If you dont believe that people grow, change, evolve as they get older, I dont know what to tell you.
Hart was also previously slammed for jokes made during his stand up show, where he said he wanted to put a stop to his son being gay.
In Seriously Funny, released on DVD in 2010 and available on Netflix, he said: One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. Thats a fear.
Keep in mind Im not homophobic…Be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.
He then continues about experiencing his sons first gay moment at a birthday party, which he was forced to put a stop to.
Every kid has a gay moment, but when it happens, you got to nip it in the bud. You got to stop it right there. “Hey, No! Thats gay.” Quick, he says.
Kevin then continues the anecdote and added that he knocked his son away from another child after he saw them grinding on each other.
Netflix still has this episode from eight years ago up, which is one of four shows that Kevin currently has on the platform.
Kevin had called his Oscars honour the opportunity of a lifetime.
Serving as host for the 91st annual Oscars ceremony would have made him the 77th star to do the honours.
Although Ellen DeGeneres called for Kevin to be reinstated, the film star said he is over it when he appeared on Good Morning America earlier this week.
He confirmed that he will absolutely not be hosting the ceremony on 25 February, saying: its not in Gods plan for him right now.
Speaking to Michael Strahan on GMA, the Night School actor said: Its hard to predict what can happen. I dont want people to think theres a thing about me and the Academy – adding that he had no time to prepare.
Addressing the controversy over his did-he, didnt-he apology, Kevin continued: I say Im done with it. It gets no more energy from me. Thats why I said for the last time, Im addressing this. Theres no more conversation about it.
Im over that, Im over the moment, and Im about today, so if its accepted, great, if its not, its nothing I can control. Some things are left out of your hands, so Im done with it. Im over it.
I have explained how I evolved, which makes me say, Im over it. Im not saying how Ive changed anymore, Im not saying what Ive done and what the new me is, Im not giving no more explanation of who I am. Ive done it, Ive done it several times, Ive tweeted it, I said it when I went on Ellen, I said it on my radio show. Im just done.
The comedian added: If you didnt [hear the apology], I dont know what youre looking for. Im a good person, I love to love, if you dont see that then its a problem with you.
The Oscars drama comes at a pretty awkward time for Kevin, seeing as hes on the promo trail for his new film The Upside, in which he stars as an ex-convict who is hired by a millionaire quadriplegic (played by Bryan Cranston).
The Oscars will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on 24 February 2019.