Europe Update

Home Europe Update

France ready to airlift wounded journalists out of disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region

0

Issued on:

President Emmanuel Macron said Thursday that France is ready to airlift two journalists out of Nagorno Karabakh after they were badly wounded in fighting in the disputed region.

Advertising Read more

Le Monde had earlier confirmed to AFP that a reporter and photographer working for the French daily had been injured in a bombing by Azerbaijan forces.

"Two French reporters were hurt at Martuni in the Artsakh region during the Azeri bombardment," the Armenian foreign ministry tweeted.

Two Armenian journalists were also hit in the shelling, according to Armenian authorities.

Armenia's ambassador to France told AFP that both French journalists "were badly injured and are now being operated on in the town's hospital.

"They were near the town hall when the area was bombarded," Hasmik Tolmajian added.

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Macron told reporters in Brussels that a "medical aircraft was ready to go as we talk. We are doing everything to stabilise the wounded before they are evacuated."

The French leader said he was sending his "support to families of the wounded and all of the journalists at Le Monde."

Several journalists, including a team from AFP, were interviewing residents in Martuni and assessing damage from previous shelling when the bombing started. No one in the AFP team was hurt.

Regis Gente of RFI/France 24 said they were looking at a damaged house when a rocket hit, adding that the attack lasted about a minute.

Heavy fighting has been raging for four days after the long-running conflict over the region between Armenia and Azerbaijan reignited.

TheRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

France ready to airlift wounded journalists out of disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region

0

Issued on:

President Emmanuel Macron said Thursday that France is ready to airlift two journalists out of Nagorno Karabakh after they were badly wounded in fighting in the disputed region.

Advertising Read more

Le Monde had earlier confirmed to AFP that a reporter and photographer working for the French daily had been injured in a bombing by Azerbaijan forces.

"Two French reporters were hurt at Martuni in the Artsakh region during the Azeri bombardment," the Armenian foreign ministry tweeted.

Two Armenian journalists were also hit in the shelling, according to Armenian authorities.

Armenia's ambassador to France told AFP that both French journalists "were badly injured and are now being operated on in the town's hospital.

"They were near the town hall when the area was bombarded," Hasmik Tolmajian added.

Macron told reporters in Brussels that a "medical aircraft was ready to go as we talk. We are doing everything to stabilise the wounded before they are evacuated."

The French leader said he was sending his "support to families of the wounded and all of the journalists at Le Monde."

Several journalists, including a team from AFP, were interviewing residents in Martuni and assessing damage from previous shelling when the bombing started. No one in the AFP team was hurt.

Regis Gente of RFI/France 24 said they were looking at a damaged house when a rocket hit, adding that the attack lasted about a minute.

Heavy fighting has been raging for four days after the long-running conflict over the region between Armenia and Azerbaijan reignited.

TheRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

EU leaders approve sanctions on Belarus officials after Cyprus drops veto threat

0

Issued on:

European Union leaders agreed early Friday to impose sanctions on dozens of senior officials in Belarus accused of falsifying presidential election results and leading a crackdown on peaceful protesters, after unblocking a veto against the move by one of the EU’s smallest member countries.

Advertising Read more

In an embarrassing standoff, Cyprus had insisted that its EU partners take action against Turkey for its energy exploration work in disputed waters off the Mediterranean island nation’s coast before it would agree to the Belarus sanctions.

But after several hours of talks into the night, the leaders agreed on a strong statement of support for Cyprus, as well as for Greece, and a stern warning to Turkey that it could face punitive measures if it continues the undersea drilling work.

“We have decided today to implement the sanctions," European Council President Charles Michel told reporters after chairing the summit in Brussels. “It’s very important to do what we decided a few weeks ago,” and to send a signal that “we are credible.”

Michel said that a special written procedure would be launched on Friday to impose sanctions on about 40 Belarus officials.

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko "is not on the current list. But we will follow the developments," Michel said. The leader once dubbed Europe’s last dictator could be added to the list at a later date, should he refuse to enter into talks with the opposition, EU diplomats have said.

Rejection of Belarus' official election results

The political row has tarnished the EU’s image. It is also unusual in that all 27 EU member countries, including Cyprus, reject the result of the Aug. 9 election that returned Lukashenko to power for a sixth term. They all want a new election and agree that sanctions should be slapped on several officials.

Ahead of the summit, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said “it is bad that we cannot make it work.”

Throughout Thursday evening, the leaders debated what approach to take in the EU’s increasingly tense ties with Turkey over its drilling in the Mediterranean Sea, its roles in the conflicts in Libya and Syria, and as a sometimes troublesome source of migrants trying to reach Europe.

In a summit statement, they agreed that if Turkey continues to react positively in talks with Cyprus and Greece the bloc will “launch a positive political EU-Turkey agenda” with trade and customs incentives, and they held out the prospect of more money and benefits for continued cooperation on migrant flows.

If not, the leaders warned, “the EU will use all the instruments and the options at its disposal,” to “defend its interests and those of its Member States.”

“It is now Turkey that has to prove that it wants to go the constructive road with us, and this is the offer tonight. But we are very clear that in the opposite case we have all necessary tools at our disposal,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said.

Macron: 'Solidarity is non-negotiable'

French President Emmanuel Macron was staunch in his support for his European partners, saying that “solidarity is non-negotiable” when it comes to Cyprus, but also to Greece in its long-running dispute with Turkey.

“When a European Union member state is attacked, threatened, when its territorial waters are not respected, it’s the dutRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

EU launches legal action against UK for breaching Brexit deal and international law

0

The announcement comes after weeks of controversy since Boris Johnson's government revealed its plans to put in place legislation that would override a specific part of the Withdrawal Agreement called the Northern Ireland Protocol.Speaking in Brussels, Ursula von der Leyen, President of the EU Commission, said that the EU had invited the UK to "remove the problematic parts of their draft internal market bill by the end of September." She said that the draft bill is "by its very nature a breach of the obligation of good faith laid down in the Withdrawal Agreement," adding that "it will be in full contradiction" of the Northern Ireland Protocol. The protocol was agreed in order to eliminate the need for border checks between the only land border shared by the EU and UK on the island of Ireland. Both sides fear that checks could lead to a hard border and the return of sectarian violence that Ireland and Northern Ireland hoped were a distant memory. Since the UK government has not pulled this legislation, the Commission has written a letter of formal notice to the UK government, the first step in an infringement procedure — something the EU commonly uses when parties breach agreements with the union. "The letter invites the UK government to send its observations within a month and besides this the Commission will continue to work hard towards full and timely implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement. We stand by our commitments," von der Leyen concluded. The move, though dramatic, was expected in London. The government had previously admitted that its Internal Market Bill would breach the treaty and break international law in a "very specific and limited way." The government claims that the bill is a safety net to ensure seamless trade between the four nations of the United Kingdom in the event of a no deal Brexit at the end of this year and hopes it won't have to use the legislation. The backdrop to all of this is that trade talks between London and Brussels are entering their final phase. The last formal round of talks are talking place right now and an EU summit will take place on October 15, where negotiators hope a deal will be on the table for EU leaders to approve. Both sides say a deal is in sight, but are struggling to reach an agreement on some key issues, most notably around the UK's ability to use state aid in order to prop up BritRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

cnn

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Belarus and the EU: Europe mulls next steps after disputed election

0

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

One of the pressing foreign policy issues facing the EU today involves one of its direct neighbours: Belarus. Belarusians are still protesting the disputed re-election of Alexander Lukashenko back in August – and reports of human rights violations by Belarusian authorities continue too. Major opposition figures are cRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Nagorno-Karabakh: Volunteers give blood as casualties mount

0

Issued on:

As fighting rages in Nagorno-Karabakh and casualties increase, civilians in Armenia have been rushing to help those on the front lines by donating their blood.

Advertising Read more

"Since our boys are protecting our homeland on the front lines, we are trying to help as much as we can in the rear," teacher Marine Khachatryan told AFP as she gave blood in a clinic in the Armenian capital Yerevan.

"At the moment we are not needed on the front lines. There is a war and we are trying to provide as much as needed. We are always ready to support our army, our soldiers. We will win."

Fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in Nagorno-Karabakh is now in its sixth day.

Both countries have declared martial law and mobilised their male populations amid the threat of all-out war, and patriotic fervour is high.

But for those unable to fight, donating blood that could be used to treat wounded soldiers is another way to answer the call to arms.

"We are ready to help in any way. Now we need to donate blood so we help with blood, and if it continues like this, we will definitely win," said donor Mesrop Barsegyan.

"It is very important to unite for each victory, both the front and the rear are important," added another donor, Gayane Sargsyan.

On Friday, the offRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Nagorno-Karabakh: Volunteers give blood as casualties mount

0

Issued on:

As fighting rages in Nagorno-Karabakh and casualties increase, civilians in Armenia have been rushing to help those on the front lines by donating their blood.

Advertising Read more

"Since our boys are protecting our homeland on the front lines, we are trying to help as much as we can in the rear," teacher Marine Khachatryan told AFP as she gave blood in a clinic in the Armenian capital Yerevan.

"At the moment we are not needed on the front lines. There is a war and we are trying to provide as much as needed. We are always ready to support our army, our soldiers. We will win."

Fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in Nagorno-Karabakh is now in its sixth day.

Both countries have declared martial law and mobilised their male populations amid the threat of all-out war, and patriotic fervour is high.

But for those unable to fight, donating blood that could be used to treat wounded soldiers is another way to answer the call to arms.

"We are ready to help in any way. Now we need to donate blood so we help with blood, and if it continues like this, we will definitely win," said donor Mesrop Barsegyan.

"It is very important to unite for each victory, both the front and the rear are important," added another donor, Gayane Sargsyan.

On Friday, the offRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Von der Leyen tests negative for COVID-19 after exposure to case in Portugal

0

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has tested negative for COVID-19, her spokesman has said.

It came after the leader said on Monday morning she would self-isolate until Tuesday after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for the virus.

She “will nevertheless observe self-isolation until tomorrow end-of-day as foreseen by health safety regulations,” chief spokesperson Eric Mamer wrote on Twitter.

Tuesday marks seven days from her contact with the case of COVID-19.

The EU chief said in her tweet that she had received a negative result last Thursday as well.

She is not experiencing any virus symptoms for the moment, a spokesperson had said, but she will not be able to attend the European Parliament plenary.

The leader was last week in Lisbon for meetings with top Portuguese officials during which she had contact with a confirmed case. She learned of the contact late Sunday night, Mamer said at a press conference.

Read from source

Military plane carrying 27 crashes in Ukraine, killing most on board

0

Issued on:

A military transport plane carrying air force cadets crashed and burst into flames near a highway in northeastern Ukraine on Friday evening, killing at least 22 people on board, officials said.

Advertising Read more

The Antonov An-26 aircraft crashed while trying to land during a training exercise, the General Staff of the Armed Forces Ruslan Khomchak said in a statement, adding that at least two more people were critically injured.

Video posted by Deputy Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko on Facebook showed the plane in flames lying near a road and smoke billowing upwards in the night sky.

Footage taken later showed rescue workers inspecting the smoking wreckage near the town of Chuhuiv.

An investigation has started on what caused the crash.

One pilot reported failure in the left engine of the twin-engined plane, said Oleksiy Kucher, the governor of the Kharkiv region, according to Interfax Ukraine, adding this would not have been a critical situation for an experienced pilot.

Citing preliminary information, Kucher said that some of the people on board managed to jump out of the plane when it was at low altitude.

An eyewitness who was driving along the road towards Chuhuiv told Reuters he saw a man in flames running from the plane after it crashed.

“Another car stopped behind us. We took a fire extinguisher and ran with another driver to help him,” said Yaroslav, who gave only his first name.

“Another man came from the plane. He had a cut on his head. We pulled him tRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Coronavirus deaths could reach 2 million, WHO warns

0

Issued on:

The global death toll from COVID-19 could double to 2 million before a successful vaccine is widely used and could be even higher without concerted action to curb the pandemic, an official at the World Health Organization said on Friday.

Advertising Read more

"Unless we do it all, (2 million deaths) … is not only imaginable, but sadly very likely," Mike Ryan, head of the U.N. agency's emergencies programme, told a briefing on Friday.

The number of deaths about nine months since the novel coronavirus was discovered in China is nearing 1 million.

"We are not out of the woods anywhere, we are not out of the woods in Africa," said Ryan.

He said young people should not be blamed for a recent increase in infections despite growing concerns that they are driving its spread after restrictions and lockdowns were eased around the world.

"I really hope we don't get into finger wagging: it's all because of the youth," said Ryan. "The last thing a young person needs is an old person pontificating and wagging the finger."

Rather, indoor gatherings of people of all ages were driving the epidemic, he said.

The WHO is continuing talks with China about its possible involvement in the COVAX financing scheme designed to guarantee fast and equitable access globally to COVID-19 vaccines, a week after the deadline for committing passed.

"We're in discussions with China about the role they may play as we go forward," said Bruce Aylward, WHO senior adviser and head of the ACT-Accelerator programme to back vaccines, treatments and diagnostics against COVID-19.

He confirmed that Taiwan has signed up to the scheme, even though it is not a WHO member, brinRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

france24

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Popular Posts

My Favorites

Is this a Raphael? Madonna and Child painting to be auctioned...

Madonna and Child is described by Dorotheum as being by an associate of Raffaello Sanzio, called Rap..