USA Topics

Home USA Topics

British Airways faces record 183.4 million pounds fine over data theft

0

LONDON (Reuters) – British Airways-owner IAG is facing a record $230 million fine for the theft of data from 500,000 customers from its website last year under tough new data-protection rules policed by the UKs Information Commissioners Office (ICO).

The ICO proposed a penalty of £183.4 million, or 1.5% of British Airways 2017 worldwide turnover, for the hack, which it said exposed poor security arrangements at the airline.

BA indicated that it planned to appeal against the fine, the product of European data protection rules, called GDPR, that came into force in 2018. They allow regulators to fine companies up to 4% of their global turnover for data-protection failures.

The attack involved traffic to the British Airways website being diverted to a fraudulent site, where customer details such as log in, payment card and travel booking details as well as names and addresses were harvested, the ICO said.

Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham said: “Peoples personal data is just that – personal.

“When an organisation fails to protect it from loss, damage or theft it is more than an inconvenience. Thats why the law is clear – when you are entrusted with personal data you must look after it.”

BAs chairman and chief executive Alex Cruz said he was “surprised and disappointed” by the proposed penalty.

“British Airways responded quickly to a criminal act to steal customers data,” he said.

“We have found no evidence of fraud/fraudulent activity on accounts linked to the theft.”

Willie Walsh, CEO of parent company IAG, said BA would be making representations to the ICO about the proposed fine.

A young couple was last seen embracing at a gas station. Now police are searching for their killers

0

North Carolina resident Chynna Deese, 24, cleaned the windshield of the blue Chevrolet van while her Australian boyfriend, Lucas Fowler, 23, filled the gas tank. Then they got back on the road and made their way through British Columbia's pristine wilderness. On July 15, two days after that brief stop in Fort Nelson, they were found shot dead on a remote highway in northern British Columbia. Fowler's van sat nearby. Four days later, as police searched for clues on the killers and panicked residents in the rural north shuttered their homes, tragedy struck again. Nearly 300 miles away from the crime scene, the body of Vancouver university professor Leonard Dyck was discovered near a burning car. Investigators believe all three victims were killed by a pair of teenagers prowling the area.The teens, once considered missing and feared dead, are on the run.

The suspects may be in disguise

The manhunt for suspects Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, is focused on Gillam, a tight-knit rural town of about 1,000 people in northern Manitoba. The teens were seen there last week, and investigators are scouring a rugged terrain for clues on their whereabouts. Early Sunday, police tweeted a photo of a polar bear spotted during the search about 120 miles north of Gillam. A Royal Canadian Air Force Hercules is assisting with the aerial search as police knock on doors in Gillam and Fox Lake Cree Nation over the next few days. While there have been no sightings of the suspects outside the region, police are not ruling out the possibility they may be gone. They also likely altered their appearance and may be wearing disguises, authorities said."It is possible that someone may not have been aware of who they were providing assistance to, and may now be hesitant to come forward," said Cpl. Julie Courchaine, a Manitoba police spokeswoman. "I want to reiterate the importance of contacting police immediately."Before authorities described the teens as armed and dangerous suspects, they initially believed they were missing.The suspects' car was discarded and burned outside of Gillam near the Fox Lake Cree Nation reserve. One of their alleged victims, the professor, was found nearby. Suspects Kam McLeod, left, and Bryer Schmegelsky.

The victims are mourned on two continents

Hundreds of miles away from the crime scenes, heartbroken relatives on two continents are grieving a tragic love story that started when Fowler and Deese met in Croatia years ago. Relatives remembered the couple as avid travelers with a passion for exploring. Fowler was having the time of his life traveling the world with a woman he loved, said his father, Stephen Fowler, a police inspector in Australia's New South Wales Police Force. "To lose someone so young and vibrant, who was traveling the world and just enjoying life to the full, is devastating," his family said in a statement. "To know his beautiful girlfriend … also lost her life in this violent event is too cruel."Fowler was working at a ranch in British Columbia while his girlfriend was visiting him. "He loved animals," said Erika Weder, who hired Fowler at the ranch in February. "He wanted to get more experience with animals, learn about ranching in Canada in general, just tRead More – Source

Montreal massacre: 30 years later, anti-feminist motive acknowledged

0

Issued on: Modified:

Thirty years ago in Canada, a gunman walked into a university in Montreal, shooting fourteen women dead. It took decades for that massacre to be described as a femicide, a targeted attack on females. Sexism and violence against women are still very present in Canada today. Last year alone, one woman or girl was killed every two and a half days. FRANCE 24's François Rihouay and our team in Montreal report.

Advertising

Meanwhile, a video filmed at Buckingham Palace went viral this week. It shows the prime ministers of Canada, the UK and the Netherlands alongside French President Emmanuel Macron and the daughter of the Queen, Princess Anne. They all seem to be openly gossiping about the behaviour of US President Donald Trump, who was in London for the NATO summit. This comes as the US president is also facing some rough times at home. The impeachment inquiry against him turned up a notch this week. The House Intelligence Committee published a 300-page report accusing the president of subverting national security by pressuring Ukraine for dirt on Democratic election rival Joe Biden.

Despite the impeachment inquiry, Donald Trump is already in campaign modeRead More – Source

10 Overdose, 3 Die, in Four Days in One NYC Borough

0

What to Know

  • Over the course of four days during the Independence Day holiday, Richmond County in New York reported 10 overdoses, authorities announced[hhmc]

  • DA Michael McMahon reported that between July 4 and July 7, three fatal and seven non-fatal overdoses took place in Staten Island[hhmc]

  • There have been 60 suspected fatal overdoses and an additional 149 Naloxone saves so far this year in Staten Island, McMahon said[hhmc]

Over the course of four days during the Independence Day holiday, Richmond County in New York reported 10 overdoses, some which proved to be fatal, authorities announced Monday.

District Attorney Michael McMahon reported that between July 4 and July 7, three fatal and seven non-fatal overdoses took place in Staten Island.

According to McMahon, who reported a spike in overdoses in Staten Island and called the heroin epidemic “an out-of-control fire,” there have been 60 suspected fatal overdoses and an additional 149 Naloxone saves so far this year.

Authorities say that last weeks victims included both men and women ranging between 19 and 60 years old, with most overdoses taking place inside private homes and two of the non-fatal overdoses occurring in public places: inside a Burger King bathroom and inside a bathroom at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal.

“This 4th of July tragedy is another alarming spike and we want everyone out there to know there is deadly poison on our streets. What our Overdose Response Initiative analysis data tells us is that many of the recent victims had either prior overdoses or known drug use,” McMahon said in a statement.

[contf] [contfnew]

NBC

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

‘Apologize for untruth!’ Trump’s year of feuds with corporations

0

In addition to feuding with the news media, President Donald Trump has often lashed out at major corporations during the first tumultuous year of his mandate, causing stocks to rise or fall with only a tweet or two.

Amazon

On Friday, Trump tweeted that the e-commerce giant Amazon.com was unfairly benefitting from its deal with the US Postal Service.

“Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer? Should be charging MUCH MORE!” Trump tweeted.

Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer? Should be charging MUCH MORE!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 29, 2017

Trump’s feud with Amazon could be related to the near-constant stream of factually-challenged articles alleging Trump colluded with Russia to defeat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election in the Washington Post, owned by Amazon tycoon Jeff Bezos.

In August, Trump said Amazon is doing “great damage to tax paying retailers,” and that “towns, cities and states throughout the U.S. are being hurt — many jobs being lost!” He has accused the Washington Post of being a “lobbyist” for the Amazon.

Amazon is far from the only corporation Trump has launched public attacks on, however.

Lockheed Martin

The F-35 program and cost is out of control. Billions of dollars can and will be saved on military (and other) purchases after January 20th.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 12, 2016

Police Seek Suspects in Fatal Stabbing of 15-Year-Old Boy

0

What to Know

  • Police have released photos of the suspects wanted in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old boy in the Bronx[hhmc]

  • Lesandro Guzman-Feliz was stabbed in the neck in front of a Bodega in the Belmont section of the Bronx on Wednesday[hhmc]

  • The teen was part of the NYPD's Law Enforcement Explorers program[hhmc]

Police have released photos of the suspects wanted in connection with the fatal stabbing of a teenage boy in the Bronx earlier this week.

Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was stabbed in the neck after a dispute with the male suspects in front of a bodega at 526 E. 183rd St. in the Belmont neighborhood of the Bronx around 11:40 p.m. on Wednesday, the NYPD said.

In the Bronx on 6/20, 15-yr-old Junior Guzman-Feliz was fatally stabbed by the men in the photo (on right). He was never going to give up on his dream of being an NYPD detective & WELL NEVER GIVE UP ON HIM. Help us get #JusticeForJunior You can anonymously call 800-577-TIPS. pic.twitter.com/0gVAMfmC7f

— Chief Dermot F. Shea (@NYPDDetectives) June 23, 2018

Guzman-Feliz, who lived just down the block from the bodega, ran to St. Barnabas Hospital after the attack, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The suspects were seen getting into a white vehicle and a dark colored sedan, the NYPD said.

The teen, known to his friends as Junior, was part of the NYPD's Law Enforcement Explorers program, which gives young people from around the city a chance to learn more about a career in the criminal justice field, police said.

A wake for Guzman-Feliz will be held at the Ortiz Funeral Home on Southern Boulevard in the Bronx from 3 to 9 p.m. on Monday and Tueday. His funeral will take place on Wednesday.

MS-13 Teen Member Pleads Guilty in Brutal Quadruple Murder

0

What to Know

  • A 17-year-old Central Islip man, an MS-13 member, pleaded guilty Monday to the April, 2017 murders of four men, prosecutors say[hhmc]

  • Josue Portillo entered his guilty plea in federal court and faces life in prison when he is sentenced in January as an adult[hhmc]

  • Portillo and other MS-13 gang members then surrounded the victims and used machetes, knives and clubs to murder them, the court papers say[hhmc]

A 17-year-old Central Islip man, a member of MS-13, pleaded guilty Monday to the April, 2017 murders of four men thought to be members of a rival gang, prosecutors say.

Josue Portillo entered his guilty plea in federal court in Central Islip and faces life in prison when he is sentenced in January.

On April 11, 2017, Portillo and other members of MS-13 allegedly directed two female associates to lure five young men to a community park in Central Islip. Portillo and the other MS-13 members met in another area of the park where they discussed their plan to kill the victims, court papers say.

After the victims and the female MS-13 associates arrived at the park the females sent a text message to Portillo describing their location. Portillo and the other MS-13 gang members then surrounded the victims and used machetes, knives and wooden clubs to murder Justin Llivicura, Michael Lopez, Jorge Tigre, and Jason Villalobos, the court papers say. The fifth intended victim escaped.

Andrew Ortner

The victims bodies were discovered the next day.

Portillo, an undocumented immigrant from El Salvador, was 15 years and 11 months old at the time of the murders and was initially charged as a juvenile in July, 2017 while in immigration custody, prosecutors say.

Earlier this month, a federal judge ordered that Portillo be prosecuted as an adult.

“Whether young or old, the savagery of MS-13 gang members remains the same,” said FBI Assistant Director William F. Sweeney. “Portillo and other members of MS-13 brutally beat and killed four young men, leaving them in an isolated wooden area.”

NJ Principal Known for Endlessly Positive Attitude’ Dies

0

What to Know

  • A New Jersey high school principal known for his “endlessly positive attitude” has died [hhmc]

  • The principal, Derrick Nelson, passed away on Sunday. [hhmc]

  • The student newspaper reported he donated bone marrow to a 14-year-old boy in France just months ago[hhmc]

A New Jersey high school principal known for his “endlessly positive attitude” has died — just months after he reportedly donated bone marrow to save a teenage boys life.

Westfield High School Principal Derrick Nelson passed away on Sunday, Westfield Public Schools Superintendent Margaret Dolan said in a letter sent out to parents on Monday.

The school, citing respect for the familys privacy, did not disclose the principal's cause of death.

“It is with profound sadness and great difficulty that I announce Westfield High School principal Dr. Derrick Nelson died last night,” Dolan wrote. “Dr. Nelson touched us all with his kindness, compassion, integrity, and endlessly positive attitude.”

NBC 4 New York

“We hold him and his family in our hearts as we grieve this loss together and I know you join me in granting his family the privacy they have requested,” she added.

An article published in the schools student newspaper in February said Nelson underwent a procedure to donate bone marrow to a 14-year-old boy in France after a donor program contacted him saying he might be a match.

Current and former students saRead More – Source

[contf] [contfnew]

USA Today

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

British man plotted to kill May

0

LONDON (Reuters) – A British man was found guilty on Wednesday of a plot to kill Prime Minister Theresa May by first detonating an explosive device to get into her Downing Street office and then using a knife or a gun to attack her.

Naaimur Rahman, 20, of north London, was convicted at the Old Bailey court of preparing to commit acts of terrorism.

Rahman planned to detonate an improvised explosive device at the gates of Downing Street and gain access to Mays office in the ensuing chaos and kill her, according to police.

No. 10 Downing Street is the official residence and office of British prime ministers. It is heavily guarded and there is a gate at the end of the street where members of the public and tourists gather to get a glimpse of the house.

“We are talking about an individual that would have killed, injured and maimed a number of people including police officers and members of the public,” said Dean Haydon, head of the Metropolitan Polices Counter Terrorism Command.

Britain suffered four deadly attacks last year and the head of the domestic spy agency MI5 said in May that a further 12 Islamist plots had been foiled since the first of these in March 2017.

The Downing Street plot was foiled when Rahman believed he was corresponding online with members of the Islamic State (IS) militant group while planning the alleged attack but was in fact talking to members of undercover officers from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and Britains MI5 Security Service.

Rahman was arrested last November shortly after meeting with undercover officers posing as IS members and collecting two dummy explosive devices.

Haydon said Rahman had been in contact with an uncle who had travelled to Syria and joined IS and who had encouraged his nephew to carry out attacks in Britain.

Rahman had been planning to carry out the attack for two years but his resolve was hardened when he heard that his uncle had been killed in a drone attack last summer, Haydon added.

What would Churchill say? PM contest rivals say Boris Johnson needs scrutiny

0

LONDON (Reuters) – Boris Johnson, the frontrunner to replace Theresa May as Britains prime minister, came under pressure on Friday to face the media over his Brexit plans as another of his rivals dropped out of the leadership battle.

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Health Matt Hancock is seen outside Downing Street in London, Britain, April 2, 2019. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

Health minister Matt Hancock quit the battle to succeed May as Conservative Party leader, saying the party was looking for a candidate for the present not the future, leaving six contenders amongst whom Johnson is the overwhelming favourite.

He won the backing of 114 of 313 Conservative lawmakers in the first round of voting on Thursday, way ahead of foreign minister Jeremy Hunt who was second with 43 while three others were eliminated.

The issue dominating the contest is how and when Britain will leave the European Union and who is best placed to solve the crisis that has plunged the political establishment into turmoil since the 2016 referendum to leave the bloc.

May resigned as Conservative leader having failed three times to get her divorce deal with the EU through parliament. The EU has repeatedly said it will not renegotiate that deal.

Rivals turned their sights on Johnson who has pledged that Britain will leave on Oct. 31, whether or not a deal can be struck.

He argues that if Britain is prepared for a no-deal Brexit, the EU will bend to his argument to remove the so-called Northern Irish backstop to prevent a return to a hard border with Ireland if there is no agreed future trade deal.

But he has not yet agreed to take part in televised debates, the first of which takes place on Sunday, leading to accusations that the flamboyant former foreign secretary is avoiding difficult questions, in case any slip-up proves costly.

“We can only have that debate if our frontrunner in this campaign is a little bit braver in terms of getting out into the media, engaging in debates, engaging in the TV debate,” Hunt told BBC radio.

Popular Posts

My Favorites