USA Topics

Home USA Topics

Woman reunited with family 40 years after dictatorship

0

In an emotional press conference Thursday, members of the woman's extended family and leaders from the Argentine human rights organization, the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, formally announced that they had a DNA match with the woman and her family members. "We are all waiting for her with open arms," the woman's aunt, Adriana Moyano, said during a press conference Thursday in the South American nation's capital, Buenos Aires. Another aunt, Elsa Poblete, added of her long lost niece: "We love her intensely."She is the 127th child to be reunited with his or her biological family since the end of Argentina's dictatorship, which lasted from 1976 to 1983. This year, the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo have identified six adults belonging to parents who went missing during the dictatorship. Related: Obama admits fault in U.S. response to Argentina's 'Dirty War'As the woman adjusts to a jarring new reality, organization officials did not reveal her identity or that of the family that raised her. Her parents, Maria del Carmen Moyano and Carlos Poblete, were kidnapped sometime in April or May of 1977, according to the Grandmothers' organization. Moyano was believed to be eight to nine months pregnant at the time. They were taken in the city of Cordoba, about 430 miles west of Buenos Aires. The couple was associated with a violent, revolutionary group against the dictatorship known as the Montoneros. Moyano was transferred to Argentina's naval base in Buenos Aires where thousands were tortured during the dictatorship. She gave birth to her daughter there, according to the organization. She, along with the woman's father, is presumed to be dead or missing.During Argentina's dictatorship, about 30,000 citizens disappeared, most believed to have been killed by the authoritarian regime. Some were critics of the government. According to the human rights organization, there are about 350 other children separated from family during the Dirty War who have yet to be identified and reunited with loved ones.The Grandmothers first began protesting decades ago in and around Plaza de Mayo, the main square in front of the presidential palace in Buenos Aires. Once dismissed by the dictatorship as ludicrous, the organization has received worldwide recognition over the last four decades for its work reuniting people with their biological families. Estela de Carlotto, the current leader of the organization who accompanied the family members Thursday, knows how they feel. In 2014, she was reunited with her own grandson, who was taken from the family when Carlotto's daughter, Laura, was kidnapped by authorities in 1978.

Original Article

[contf] [contfnew]

CNN

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

The post Woman reunited with family 40 years after dictatorship appeared first on News Wire Now.

Source: Teen Suspect in Rape of 11-Year-Old Girl Found Dead

0

What to Know

  • The teenager wanted in connection with the alleged rape of an 11-year-old girl earlier this month has been found dead, sources said[hhmc]

  • The girl was allegedly raped inside a Bronx park bathroom in broad daylight, police say[hhmc]

  • The girl was near Hilton White Park in Morrisania on Oct. 14 around 11 a.m. when she met with the assailant, according to officials[hhmc]

The teenage suspect in the alleged rape of an 11-year-old girl in the bathroom of a Bronx park has been found dead, a law enforcement source said Tuesday.

The source said the 16-year-old was found on the awning of a building in the Bronx late Monday morning, shortly after posting "bye" on his Snapchat account. Police are treating his death as an apparent suicide.

The girl was near Hilton White Park in Morrisania on Oct. 14 around 11 a.m. when she met with the assailant, the NYPD said last weeked.

Cops later said the girl told them she had seen the alleged rapist in the neighborhood before, but didn't know who he was.

Hadi Sutrisno/AP

She went with him into the bathroom and was raped, police said. The attacker fled on foot.

The victim went home, reported the attack and went to the hospital to be checked out.

[contf] [contfnew]

USA Today

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

MTA Bus Driver Says Urine Was Thrown on Her Face

0

An MTA bus driver says she was on her bus when a man on the sidewalk through urine on her face.

The union representing transit workers says the attack was part of a disturbing trend of attacks on bus operators.

"It literally went all in my face my hair, it dripped all down the left side of my body, it went inside my shirt," Trelles Robinson said. "All around my neck,"

Robinson, 43, was taken to a nearby hospital, police said. She had redness around her eyes and felt pain and nausea.

Christina Geremia

She was driving a BX2 route just before noon on Friday and was stopped at 138th Street and Grand Concourse when the man on the sidewalk threw a liquid in her face, police said.

"I made the right turn to load up my passengers, as they loaded I close the door and I as I proceeded to turn my head to look in the mirror to pull out of the bus stop he was at my window," Robinson said.

Oneshia Portlette-Shade, of the TWU Local 100, said other bus drivers have been spit on, had bleach thrown on them, and a pregnant bus driver was stabbed.

"These senseless attacks are disgusting and disgraceful," NYC Transit President Andy Byford said. "Ive asked NYPD to Read More – Source

Cabbie Bites Driver, Rams Car in Road Rage Meltdown: Police

0

A 25-year-old cab driver has been accused of biting another driver before ramming his vehicle during a caught-on-camera road rage confrontation in the middle of a midtown Manhattan street on Thursday, according to law enforcement officials.

Alyssa Jenna Mallett of Brooklyn was charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and two counts of assault after authorities said the driver of a white Nissan SUV cut her off on Thursday afternoon on West 35th Street near Seventh Avenue.

Officials said Mallett got out of her car and went to yell at the Nissans driver. She then hit him in the face and bit him in the neck, according to authorities.

Thats when a 22-year-old woman in the passengers seat got out and all three began fighting.

Driver Pinned and Dragged in Shocking Road Rage

[NY] Driver Pinned and Dragged in Shocking Road Rage

Footage captured at the scene that was later posted to the NYCityAlerts Twitter account shows all three tangled up in the roadway as bystanders try to pull them apart.

In a second clip posted to the account, the trio are separated, and everyone gets back into their cars. Mallett gets back inside her yellow cab and both drivers appear to start to move on.

But several bystanders can be heard yelling “chill!” as Mallett passes the white Nissan on the left and rams the other vehicle. The Nissan driver then attempts to stop the driver from traveling any further.

The yellow cab then hits the Nissan again and backs up and hits a parked car as the other driver hangs out of her drivers side window.

There were two children in the Nissan at the time of the fight, but they were uninjured.

Macron, Trump continue to spar over French digital tax plans and retaliatory US tariffs

0

Issued on: Modified:

French President Emmanuel Macron and his US counterpart Donald Trump on Tuesday appeared unwilling to lay down their arms in an escalating spat over Pariss plans for a special tax on digital service companies and Washingtons threat to retaliate with massive tariffs on French imports.

Advertising

Read more

The United States on Monday threatened to impose duties of up to 100 percent on imports of champagne, handbags and other French products worth $2.4 billion after a US government investigation found that Frances new digital services tax would harm US technology companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon.

In London for a NATO summit, Trump and Macron exchanged a tight-gripped handshake before both said they hoped they could smooth out their differences over the increasingly inflammatory issue.

But neither seemed particularly willing to back down on their respective threats.

“Theyre American companies. Theyre tech companies. Theyre not my favourite people, but thats OK, I dont care, theyre American companies. And we want to tax American companies. Its not for somebody else to tax them,” Trump said, acknowledging a “minor dispute” between the two leaders.

“So its either gonna work out, or well work out some mutually beneficial tax,” he said, referring to the levy threat. “And the tax will be substantial. Im not sure its gonna come to that, but it might.”

Macron, meanwhile, said that while he hopes to “settle this situation with President Trump”, he remains “determined to defend the interests of our country and of Europe”.

Man Identified in San Diego-Area Synagogue Shooting, 1 Dead

0

A woman has died and a rabbi was injured after shots were fired inside a Poway, California synagogue filled with people celebrating the last day of Passover. A suspect was taken into custody approximately two miles away from the synagogue while three patients were rushed to a nearby hospital.

A man with a rifle entered Chabad of Poway on Rancho Bernardo Road, west of Interstate 15 at 11:23 a.m. and opened fire on the people inside, law enforcement officials said.

“We didnt hear him screaming or saying anything. He was just focused to kill. You saw the hate and the murder in his eyes," Danny Almong, a witness, told NBC 7. "He had a vest and he had clips in the vest. He was ready. He was ready. He came in to kill.”

The suspect John T. Earnest, 19, graduate of Mount Miguel High School and student at Cal State San Marcos. Earnest does not have a criminal history and has no apparent connection with white supremacist groups, according to San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore. Read more about Earnest here.

As the suspect fled the scene, an off-duty U.S. Border Patrol agent who was in the synagogue at the time of the shooting opened fire on the suspect, missing the man but striking his vehicle, Gore said.

Near the freeway, a San Diego police officer was en route to the scene while monitoring the sheriff's dispatch when he saw the suspect vehicle.

The suspect pulled over, jumped out of his car with his hands up and was taken into custody, SDPD Chief David Nisleit said.

"As the officer was placing this 19-year-old male into custody, he clearly saw a rifle sitting on the front passenger seat of the suspect vehicle," Nisleit added.

More than half a dozen police cars were seen along Rancho Bernardo Road outside Phils BBQ — roughly two miles away from the temple — where the suspect was apprehended.

Officials have not released a possible motive for the shooting.

Anti-Morales protesters in Bolivia force state-run media off the air

0

Issued on:

Opposition demonstrators in Bolivia overran two state-run media outlets and forced them off the air Saturday and some police stopped guarding the square where President Evo Morales' palace is located, as tensions remained high after a disputed election.

Advertising

Read more

Demonstrators burst into the offices of Bolivia TV and Radio Patria Nueva and forced employees to leave, accusing them of serving the interests of Morales, said the director of the latter of the two, Ivan Maldonado.

"We were evicted by force after receiving constant threats from people gathered outside," Maldonado told AFP.

Some 40 employees were seen leaving the building that the two news organizations share in La Paz, walking hand in hand as a crowd of some 300 demonstrators yelled insults. Afterward, both outlets broadcast only music.

It was the latest thrust of a movement protesting alleged vote-counting fraud in the election last month that gave Morales a fourth straight term.

Morales denounced the seizure of the media outlets. "They say they defend democracy, but they behave as if they were in a dictatorship," he tweeted.

A radio station run by a farmers' union was also seized by protesters, Morales said.

43 Years After Stanford Church Slaying, Suspect Dies as Police Close In

0

A man believed to be connected by DNA to the 1974 cold case of a woman slain inside a chuch on the campus of Stanford University allegedly shot and killed himself at a San Jose apartment complex Thursday as authorities arrived to serve a warrant, Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said.


Steve Crawford
Photo credit: Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office

At around 9:05 a.m., deputies made verbal contact at a closed front door with an occupant in the apartment near Merrill Drive and Camden Avenue. As deputies made entry, they observed a man with a handgun, and the deputies immediately backed away, according to San Jose police.

A short time later, a gunshot was heard. Deputies eventually re-entered the residence and discovered a man, later identified as Steve Crawford, with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Sheriff's detectives believe Crawford was connected to the slaying of Arlis Perry, 19, who was found dead and naked from the waist down at Stanford Memorial Church on Oct. 13, 1974.


Arlis Perry was found dead in Stanford church in 1974.
Photo credit: Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office

"It was an extremely brutal homicide in a church at Stanford," Smith said.

Crawford was the security guard who found Perry with an ice pick in the back of her head, several candles near and on her body. Police collected DNA samples from semen found at the scene, the Stanford Daily reported.

Smith said the department's homicide unit has been working the case "actively" since it occurred.

At the time of her death, Perry had just moved from North Dakota to the Bay Area to be with her husband, Bruce Perry, who was attending Stanford, according to a book “The Ultimate Evil“ by journalist Maury Terry.

‘Hobroken’: 17th Water Main Break in 2 Months Draws Outrage

0

What to Know

  • Yet another water main broke is causing trouble for Hoboken Wednesday morning, this time flooding the PATH station at River Street[hhmc]

  • Long plagued with water main problems, Hoboken has now had 17 water main breaks since late June, including three in the last 24 hours[hhmc]

  • Hoboken says it will fire Suez water company, blaming it for mismanagement; Suez says it's the city's aging pipes that need to be replaced[hhmc]

For the third time in less than 24 hours and 17th time since late June, a water main break is plaguing Hoboken, this time flooding the PATH station of Hoboken Terminal, less than 12 hours after a break right around the corner sent riders into a frenzy.

The break, which happened around 1:45 Wednesday morning at the River Street entrance, is the fifth in the New Jersey city since Sunday and adds insult to injury for already-angry commuters.

The city was already telling them to access the PATH station from the River Street entrance since the Hudson Street entrance was closed because of a water main break that happened Tuesday.

Train service for the Wednesday morning commute has not yet been impacted,but now crews are flushing water out of the River Street entrance as they continue to fix the previous break.

3rd Water Main Break in Hoboken in Hours Floods PATH Station

[NY] 3rd Water Main Break in Hoboken in Hours Floods PATH Station

Meanwhile, the ongoing issues have residents fuming, some even renaming the city "Hobroken."

Long plagued with water main problems, Hoboken has now had 17 water main breaks since late June. The city announced Tuesday it will fire the Suez water company, blaming it for mismanagement, and for beginning a separate project that may have caused the recent spike in main breaks.

"The reason we're going to court [Wednesday] is to compel Suez to give us the data they've been withholding so we can identify the cause of these water main breaks," said Mayor Ravinder Bhalla.

Suez fired back, saying it's the city's old pipes that's to blame: an average of 111 breaks have happened since 2001, the inevitable result when the city neglects to fix the aging infrastructure, it says.

"It's past time to replace it," said a Suez official. "It's past time to start fixing it. The situation has reached a boiling point."

London climate-change street protest arrests reach 290 on second day

0

LONDON (Reuters) – Police have arrested 290 people in two days of protests after climate-change activists blocked some of Londons most important junctions including Oxford Circus and Marble Arch, causing traffic chaos.

The protests, led by British climate group Extinction Rebellion, brought parts of central London to a standstill again on Tuesday.

Extinction Rebellion, which generated headlines with a semi-nude protest in the House of Commons earlier this month, is demanding the government reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.

Police said they expected the demonstrations to continue in coming weeks and had to strike the right balance between allowing the right to peaceful protest while ensuring disruption was kept at a minimum.

“At this time, ongoing demonstrations are causing serious disruptions to public transport, local businesses and Londoners who wish to go about their daily business,” Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove said on Tuesday.

Activists had been told they must confine any demonstrations to the Marble Arch area, and police were taking action against protesters in other locations.

More than a dozen activists had been arrested at Waterloo Bridge near parliament by lunchtime on Tuesday.

Others were sitting in the road with linked arms, chanting at the police “Rebellion! Rebellion!” and “We are peaceful! What about you?”

Five arrests were for criminal damage after the Royal Dutch Shell building near the River Thames was targeted on Monday.

Two protesters on Monday climbed up scaffolding, writing “Shell Knows!” in red paint on the front of the building and three protesters glued their hands to revolving doors at the entrance.

Popular Posts

My Favorites

Monster Dark Web Takedown Yields NJ’s Biggest Pill Bust Ever

What to Know Probe into possible money laundering led to arrests and the dismantling of a dark web ..